The Chancellor’s Leadership Development Program has shown me that a leader should have a long term goal. However, while the goal should remain intact, he or she must be able to adapt to whatever obstacles or hindrances may come trying to inhibit that goal. Though everyone will face hiccups in their life, a good leader can not only work around those barriers, but can also remain a positive influence towards those around him or her. I am currently majoring in Plant and Soil Sciences with a concentration in Agronomic Sciences, and I believe this fact to be especially true for leaders in the agriculture industry. From the experiences I’ve had through previous jobs and internships, the typical member of the agriculture industry spends most of his or her week adapting to their circumstances. A farmer might be burdened with a diseased field, weather damaged crops, drought, insects and other pests, or malfunctioning equipment, but he or she can’t afford to let those issues get the best of them. Those working in the agriculture industry don’t work until the clock hits 5 but rather when the job gets done. They don’t work off the 40 hour work week requirement but off of the steps required to keep their crops healthy and maintained.

This program has shown how important it is to not only refrain myself from letting my obstacles get the best of me but to also to be a shining example to those around me. An effective leader can take on challenges head on and reveal to those around them that an obstacle is not a dead end but rather a detour. I don’t even have to be the boss of some large agricultural company to demonstrate leadership in my career; rather, I can demonstrate leadership by being willing to stay a few extra hours to help finish any remaining tasks or being eager to help those around me to overcome their obstacles. The CLDP has taught me a truly effective leader isn’t one that will never face difficulties in his or her life but instead is able to adapt to the situation at hand, overcome the obstacles at hand and achieve the goals he or she has established.