For the summer after completing my freshman year at NC State, I chose to apply and take part in the Kelman Scholarship program. This eight week program is geared toward allowing both NC State and non-NC State students to conduct their own undergraduate research under NCSU’s Entomology and Plant Pathology department. This program provided housing and $1000 dining dollars for food and groceries during the summer. For my undergrad research project, I, with guidance from my program mentor, studied how different varieties of pepper plants display resistance or susceptibility to the pathogen, Sclerotium rolfsii. I was provided with all the resources and greenhouse space required to conduct my research. In the end, I was proud of the work I had completed, but I knew that there were some things I could improve upon to help solidify my research. This program allowed me to get a first taste in the work that I deeply desire to be in and learn at an early age how to properly and efficiently conduct research.