Throughout the first semester of the member’s freshman year, the cohort is split into groups containing 3 or 4 members that are lead by two assigned mentors. This group discussion allows the students to become more comfortable about opening up and expressing their questions or concerns. Discussion topics can range anywhere from time management, to diet, to advice on a certain program, etc. This discussion not only allows students to get to know each other better, but it also allows them to learn more abut their mentors. By the second semester, the students pick a personal mentor to have one on one discussions with. This change in format allows the discussion to be more personal and focused primarily on the student and what he/she might be uncertain or concerned about. The students are to meet with their mentors at least once a month, but are encouraged to meet as often as possible.

So far, I have found mentorship to be very beneficial to my well being. The group mentoring has allowed me to express my thoughts and emotions more freely than I thought I ever would be able to. It was also a very solid method of transitioning into a one on one mentoring. Before the group mentoring had taken place, I kind of dreaded the thought of having to ask some NC State staff member to mentor me. I mean why should they care about my well being? Surely they have better things to do than to hear me talk about my issues or questions. Fortunately for me, one of the group mentors I was privileged to talk to eventually became my personal mentor. Not only was he someone who I had already opened up to, but he was also the associate dean of my college. I felt like his knowledge of the College of Agriculture and Life Science and all the opportunities of it would definitely be able to cater to my uncertainties of what exactly I want to do in agriculture. I have quickly learned that my mentor is someone I can talk to about big picture questions as well as day to day issues or questions. This mentorship program has so far provided me with many answers for various questions as well as some much needed relief.